Saturday 29 August 2009

What, where, when and how!

I loved working with Connor and his hunter.
* * *
We've just come back from a week in Ireland. We did a four day clinic with a day off either end. Some people were in for one day, some for two days and some for four days, so all in all we got to work with fourteen riders and their horses. I learnt stacks!

Pretty much every time I do clinics nowadays, at some point I become really aware that I only have about one thing I know about horses. I use it in every job but it does sometimes gets thinly disguised as different things. So I may be doing a loader, or I may be helping someone get their horse to stand still at the mounting block, or I may be helping someone do a move that I don't even know what it is, or even how to do it myself, or I might be helping a horse understand the bit, or I might be messing about at home playing around with the balance in my horse, or anything really, picking up a youngsters feet for the first time, or the second, or just picking up a youngsters feet - it's all the same stuff!

So whatever the job what is that thing - I'd say it is that you want to keep your horse feeling safe. Working with that anxious or fleeing horse, in the immortal words of a friend of ours, 'is at best a waste of time'. Over the last few years I have learnt so much about horses, but still one thing that I found out years ago stays the same - if I set up the boundaries and stay in charge of the movement, then I get the best out of my horse.

* * *
I heard Harry Whitney say, 'The horse needs to know what, when, where, and how'. I've worked out that if I get that lot in place most things go well, and conversely, if things are not going so well, I've left at least one of those jobs up to the horse, for sure.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds simple but there are so many ways you can use that stuff and every time you get one part of it you just peel back another layer of the onion and find there is room for so much more softness and subtlety and finesse. It's brilliant and it's what keeps me fascinated with this whole endeavour as my own parameters for what is possible change and my horse's responses come to match them but it really is an endless road. I've just found how much more I could be getting from Zorro over the last weekend but also how much I need to sharpen everything up on the very basics so I can get there. As with most physical activities, if you have the basic stuff excellent then everything else will follow.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a really good summary of what it's all about - now if I can just do it myself the horse shouldn't have any problem!

Unknown said...

We loved having you both over in Ireland as well!! You were both fab thanks very much for everything :) :) I have been hearing that people have been practising all those corners and turns and neck reins and are going very well!

El.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to your May 2010 Irish clinic already! :)